It is primarily suburban in development but also heavily industrialized, resulting in a lower population density than the other districts of Toronto. Much pont Du Humber PDF its cityscape is characterized by larger main streets, shopping malls, and cul-de-sac housing developments.
Different groups of First Nations peoples used the land that is now Etobicoke at different times. As the Algonquins gradually moved west from the Atlantic to Lake Erie, it is almost certain that they would have occupied this land at some point. After continued harassment from the Iroquois to the south, a coalition of the Ojibway, Odawa, and Potawatomi Algonquin nations, known as the Three Fires, gradually pushed the Haudenosaunee off this land. This was the way they described the area between Etobicoke Creek and the Humber River.
The British officials intended Etobicoke to be included in the Toronto Purchase of 1787. Immigrants from the British Isles were among the new settlers, as well as Loyalists who had left the rebellious Thirteen Colonies, by then the new United States. Early settlers included many of the Queen’s Rangers, who were given land in the area by Simcoe to help protect the new capital of Upper Canada and to develop this frontier area. The census of 1805 counted 84 people in the township of Etobicoke. On May 18, 1846, the Albion Road Company was incorporated.
Its purpose was to build and maintain a road to the north-west corner of Etobicoke, where a new community was planned. The township of Etobicoke was incorporated on January 1, 1850. The first meeting of the town council was held on January 21. Present at the meeting were reeve William Gamble, vice-reeve W. In 1911, the community of Mimico was incorporated on land taken from Etobicoke township. New Toronto was incorporated on January 1, 1913. Early on, there was talk of merging Mimico and New Toronto.
In 1967, the township of Etobicoke was merged with three small lakeside municipalities — the Village of Long Branch, the Town of New Toronto, and the Town of Mimico — to form the Borough of Etobicoke. The borough was reincorporated as a city in 1984. Etobicoke has the lowest population density of the former cities and boroughs that currently make up the city of Toronto. This is mainly due to its expanses of industrial lands along the various expressways.
The residential areas consist primarily of single-family dwellings, although several large multi-storey high-rise condominium developments have been built in south Etobicoke near the Humber River over the past few years. The central areas of Etobicoke are generally middle class. The central and northern areas of Etobicoke contain numerous high-density apartment complexes set in the middle of sizable, open fields and parks. Notable among them is James Gardens on the banks of the Humber River.
The park includes seasonal flowers, walkways, a rock garden, streams, and waterfalls. It is a very popular site for taking wedding photographs. Etobicoke is generally divided into three large areas that roughly correspond to the three political ridings. Etobicoke developed along the first street, Dundas Street, in the south of this area, which crosses the width of Etobicoke on the escarpment formed by the ancient shoreline of Lake Iroquois. In 2016, according to Statistics Canada, Etobicoke was 56.
Toronto skyline taken from Colonel Samuel Smith Park in Etobicoke. A view of Etobicoke from Budapest Park, looking west across Humber Bay. Secular Anglophone public schools in Etobicoke are overseen by the Toronto District School Board. In addition to the secular anglophone public school system, Etobicoke is home to several public anglophone Catholic schools, overseen by the Toronto Catholic District School Board.
Other schools include Humberwood Downs J. Eatonville Junior School and Mississauga private school. Norseman Junior Middle School opened its doors to students from Kindergarten to Grade 6 in January 1953. The Conseil scolaire Viamonde operates secular francophone schools, and the Conseil scolaire de district catholique Centre-Sud operates Catholic francophone schools.